Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Jump David! You know I'm right here... I'll catch you!

The walk of those with beautiful feet (1) is one full of awe and wonder. With endless confirmations, we are drawn to Daddy's Will, often without visibility of cause or effect. Guided by signs and signals that those without true sight deem as foolish, we allow ourselves to be led where we should be, when we should be there.

Not quite sure what is going to happen next? Relax! You are DEFINITELY in the pocket! That's where He wants us to be, trusting in Him... not in our own reasoning (2). It’s an acquired skill, but one that will truly bless you for all of your days. I wanted to talk about the fruits of the spirit, but this is taking a turn towards Trust so let’s see where it goes...

Those who know me well know how much I love my son. Though he's a great swimmer now (or he thinks he is), he didn't always have a lot of confidence while in the water. I remember a few years ago we were at the pool where we live and I wanted him to jump into my arms from the side of the pool. My son, eyes filled with fear, shook his head “no” as if to say "you must be crazy!! I'm not about to drown for nobody!!" Though funny on one level, this actually hurt my feelings on a deeper one.

What would make my son think that I would let him get hurt? Doesn't he know how much I love him? Why doesn't he trust that I am here for him, fully able to protect him from not only the perils of this water, but anything within my scope of ability? Does he think that I won't be there for him at the moment of truth when I need to catch him? What would make him feel that way? I've always been there for him and I've never let him fall. Heck, I've protected him from dangers that he didn't even know existed. Why doesn't he trust me? It's as if he really doesn't know me at all. As if he didn't believe the love I profess to him was real. Can you understand why David's fear hurt my feelings a little? His fear of the unknown was stronger than his trust in my dedication and/or ability to protect him. Ouch...

I had intended to teach him some foundational swimming techniques that day. I knew that if I could lay some solid groundwork, I could teach him more advanced techniques and maneuvers easily. However, I quickly realized that I couldn't start to teach him any swimming skills until he trusted me with his safety. We couldn't move forward until this core lesson was learned. Most of his pool time was spent in fear because he didn't trust that I could/would protect him in the water and he didn't know how to protect himself. Not much fun, and definitely frustrating...

Well if you can understand my frustration, imagine how God feels towards us. So many things He wants to do for us. So many lessons He wants to teach us. So many ways he wants to bless us. So much joy and peace that He wants to release into our lives. But we can't get to it because we are afraid... Afraid that we won't succeed at our job... Afraid that we won't be able to pay our bills... Afraid that no one will want to hear us preach... Afraid that we won't be able function without a drink... Afraid that we won't be able to abstain... Afraid that she'll/he'll treat me as bad as all of the others... Afraid that we won't be a good husband/wife... Afraid... Afraid... AFRAID!!

Why are we soo afraid? Do you think that God wants us this way (3)? We really start our journey with Dad the day that we truly believe that He is real and He loves us and He will NEVER forsake us. It makes life soo beautiful. When trials come our way, we KNOW that it is for a good and just cause. We don't scream "Why Lord Why?" we simply say, "I trust you Dad". We step into the oven with the 3 Hebrew boys because we trust God. We step out to walk on water because we know God lives outside of our understanding. We reach into the mouth of a fish to pay our mortgage because we know that Oprah, Bill, Donald and Steve are paupers when compared to the riches of my Dad (4). We ask and receive. We focus on Him and all other things just seem to fall into place. We trust that in the face of that water of unknown depth, He will be there to catch us. He will ALWAYS catch us... A L W A Y S ! !

So over the course on many trips with me walking around the pool with him attached to me like an octopus, he eventually realized that as long as I was there, he was safe. Now he has a ball at the pool! He jumps to me with reckless abandon! I fills my heart with joy that he knows beyond a shadow of a doubt that I will be there to catch him. He trusts me. I won't fail him.

If I have such a conviction about my son's safety and trust, how much more is the conviction of my Dad who sits on high and loves me with an immeasurable, unfathomable intensity? My love for my son is a microcosm of His love for me. Under what circumstance should fear find a place my heart? In the presence of a sincere trust in God, fear and sorrow have a really short shelf life (5). I promise you that once you get a real grip on what I'm trying to say here, you'll be able to exhale and life will once again be a joy to live (6). This is one of the reasons that I'm always smiling. I know whose I am.

Don't just say it. Seek a real understanding of this crucial concept. Enjoy life's pool again... Jump into the water... I promise He'll catch you... And when you jump, it will fill Dad's heart with Joy!(7)




For Those Who Have An Ear To Hear,
Be Blessed,

DBrown

(1) Isaiah 52:7
How beautiful on the mountains are the feet of those who bring good news, who proclaim peace, who bring good tidings, who proclaim salvation, who say to Zion, "Your God reigns!”

(2) Proverbs 3:5-6
Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

(3) Hebrews 13:5-7
Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you."So we say with confidence, "The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?

(4) Numbers 11:23
And the LORD said unto Moses, Is the LORD'S hand waxed short? thou shalt see now whether my word shall come to pass unto thee or not.

(5) Psalm 30:5
For his anger endureth but a moment; in his favour is life: weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning.

(6) Matthew 11:29-30
Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

(7) Hebrews 11:6
And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.

No comments:

Post a Comment